The development of a formulation for a trial cosmetic product containing olive waste (pomace) in a processed form. This pomace will be incorporated into a cosmetic formulation (such as an oil/water emulsion cream) for topical application.
Research has shown the presence of bioactive compounds in the olive pomace that would stimulate effects such as moisturisation, anti-ageing, anti-bacterial and UV-protection in a cosmetic product. We have also developed a novel method of manufacturing the formulation.
• Olive pomace has a higher anti-oxidant content than olive oil itself
• Value is added to an existing waste product
• The amount of olive waste is reduced – environmental benefit
• Olive oil producers can have their soil-toxic waste reduced
• General consumers will benefit by buying a natural product for alleviating various skin problems as well as improving and maintaining the health of their skin
• Beauty salon and health shop owners will have a unique product consisting of natural ingredients to promote their clients’ skin health
• To generate revenue from a waste product
• The amount of raw material produced is ever-growing
• Competitive advantage: no one else in South Africa (or the world) is doing this!
TRL 4: preclinical research. Extracts have been obtained and analysed for the desired components. Financial investment is required to scale up the process.
Provisional patent application filed in South Africa.
Please click here to download the information on this page.
For more information, please contact the Nelson Mandela University Innovation Office:
☎ +27(0) 41 504 4309